Wisdom from the Ages

I will have poetry in my life. And adventure. And love. Love above all. No... not the artful postures of love, not playful and poetical games of love for the amusement of an evening, but love that... over-throws life. Unbiddable, ungovernable - like a riot in the heart, and nothing to be done, come ruin or rapture.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Love Letters and Gentlemen.


What had happened to us that we sneered at expressions of love and devoured stories of alienation and rage! Give me the hearts drawn on napkins, the men who walked on the street side of the sidewalk.


The kind that, after years have gone by, will still leave a note on your mirror; you lean in to read his flourishes and you can feel the ease of his words- When I see you, my darling, in the morning before showers or in your studio covered with paint, with hair matted and tired eyes, I know that you are the most beautiful woman in the world.


(includes excerpts from The Notebook and A Year of Pleasures)

No comments:

Post a Comment