Wisdom from the Ages

I will have poetry in my life. And adventure. And love. Love above all. No... not the artful postures of love, not playful and poetical games of love for the amusement of an evening, but love that... over-throws life. Unbiddable, ungovernable - like a riot in the heart, and nothing to be done, come ruin or rapture.

Monday, March 29, 2010

As Though I am Dissolving


I feel myself at your mercy. You dazzled me. There is nothing in the world so bright and delicate. You have absorbed me. I have a sensation at the present moment as though I am dissolving.

My love has made me selfish. I cannot exist without you - I am forgetful of every thing but seeing you again - my Life seems to stop there - I see no further.

I have been astonished that Men could die Martyrs for religion - I have shuddered at it. I shudder no more. I could be martyr'd for my Religion. Love is my religion.

- John Keats, in a letter to Fanny

No comments:

Post a Comment